I had the pleasure last week to teach a class of heads of school and principals on leadership. When I asked them to tweet me what leadership means to them, here is what I received from several members of the class:
- Being a value-based person with a clear direction willing to be joined by and support others.
- The art of assisting others in developing and applying their skills for the good of others.
- A proposed cycle: listen, observe, analyze, communicate, serve, empower, protect, host, nurture, encourage, rest, play and repeat.
- Engaging others in the actualization of core values in the service of a higher purpose.
- Attend. Listen. Observe. Consider. Connect. Engage. Decide. Inspire. Nudge. Assist. Reflect. Adjust. Celebrate. Translate. Share. Step aside
- Inspiring others to do more and to be more. A true leader leads by example and fosters leadership in others.
- Serving others; taking responsibility for other’s well-being & growth; willing to learn from others; & having the courage to forge new path.