Saturday, January 25, 2014

Meet Sam Berns

I was first introduced to progeria when I read Harold Kushner's bestselling book When Bad Things Happen to Good People. He encountered progeria when he discovered that his three-year old son Aaron had progeria and would rapidly age and die by the age of 14.

In a recent Sunday Boston Globe, I read about Sam Berns who had progeria and passed away at the age of 17 two weeks ago Friday. This video will introduce you to Sam and his parents who are both doctors devoted to finding a cure for this dreaded genetic birth disease. To learn more about progeria go to The Progeria Research Foundation website.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I read your post about Sam Berns and he always continues to inspire me. Sam Berns was incredibly inspiring. I believe his message and life philosophy should be preserved. I have written a short film with a lead character based on Sam's philosophy. He is an 11-year old boy with terminal cancer. His bright spirit and positive outlook helps one of the characters through his illness. Just thought I'd share this with you.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/laugh-along-the-way-short-film/x/5401106

He will be missed, but his lessons will live forever.