Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Records Exist to be Broken

While reading the August 10, 2009 “Sports Illustrated” magazine’s “Faces in the Crowd” section I noted

Leland McPhie of San Diego Track and Field broke the American men's shot put record at the USA Masters outdoor championships. His throw of 22' 6½" beat the previous mark by nearly a foot. I scratched my head as I know that the men’s shot put record is around 75’. When I read the piece again, I noticed that McPhie is 95-years old and was competing in the 95- to 99-year old division!

McPhie, who competes for the So Cal Track Club, also holds Masters 95 world records in the high jump at 3' 1¼" (the Men’s high jump is around 8’) and triple jump at 13' 0" (the Men’s Triple Jump record is around 59’).

Congratulations to Leland McPhie! What an inspiration to our younger aspirants.

No comments: