Saturday, February 26, 2011

What Makes You Tic?

     I attended many impressive sessions at the NAIS Annual Conference this past week.  But after listening to Marc Elliot present "What Makes You Tic?" where he talks about his Tourette Syndrome condition and live-and-let-live (aka tolerance) approach to how we should interact with one another, I made my way to the front of the room, and extended a hug to him.  I did that 19 years ago after being similarly moved by Sarah Lawrence-Lightfoot's talk to a group of educators.  Beautiful, thoughtful messengers do that to me.
     You might find it interesting, to read the message Marc hands to nearby people when he is in a restaurant, airport, or other public area when his Tourette's is troublesome:

WHY DO I ACT THIS WAY?
Because I can't control it - 
I have Tourette Syndrome - a medical condition.  It causes me to make loud sounds, have twitches and say things I don't mean.  I can't help it any more than you can stop a sneeze or cough. I'm sorry if it bothers you - it bothers me more.

For more information about Tourette Syndrome: [TS website and address - link above]

     To learn more about Marc, click to his website and consider having him speak at your school.

No comments: